Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nightwear

  Hi there. I am sorry I haven't been around for a few days. My goal in this blog is to write words of interest and not just chatter. Don't get me wrong, I love to chatter. But that is what Facebook is for and I would love for you to join me there. Here, I want to share my ideas and passions. I want to inspire others, to stir the creative soul inside all of us. I want to bring a smile to all of your faces or to give an "a-ha" moment. So, when the words don't come to me, I don't want to just sit and write fluff.



   I received a lovely email from a potential client through my Victorian Seamstress Etsy shop this morning. It was in regards to a custom made Victorian nightgown. So, today's post is about nightwear.
   I know that sleepwear is totally utilitarian. It covers us when we sleep to keep us warm or to give us modesty. But, we as women should see it as much more. It is another chance to feel feminine, pretty, luxurious. Laces, pin tucks, pleats, smocking, ruffles, appliques, quilting, embroidery, flowers, geometric, soft colors, bold colors, velvets, cottons, silks, even flannels can all create a feeling. Life is about feelings; emotional, spiritual, and physical. It is up to us to give those feelings as much punch as we can to know that we are alive.

Robe I made from a sari

  

   Let's talk about luxurious. When we say the word, we tend to think expensive, only for the rich, out of our reach. I think about a feeling...feeling luxurious. Different fabrics can do that, silks, satins, velvets, linens, furs, even good cottons. Now add beading, lace, ribbon, rhinestones. Or add heirloom stitching and pleating and tucks. Think about the Hollywood Silver Screen. The nightwear they wore in the movies was gorgeous; flowing and soft and sexy and feminine. It gave a feeling of luxury. Imagine a soft velvet robe, gently lined, with just two rhinestone buttons. Or imagine a pure white crisp cotton nightgown, covered in laces and pleating and ruffles. These both are luxurious. Then there is the simple silhouette of the thin strap slip nightgown, made out of charmeuse.  Luxury doesn't need to be expensive. It just needs to make you feel wonderful. And it most important, it needs to be quality.
  









The Victorian style offers so many options. It is the style I tend to go to most often, because I love this period. The embellishment techniques can fit into any era, actually. Pleating can be soft or crisp. Ribbons can be flowing or rigid with pleats. Gathering can add fullness or be made small to add shape. There is floral embroidery or classic monograms that can be added. Stripes can be smocked into a totally different design. It can be soft and floral or it can be bold and goth. Look at today's steam punk style.
Luxurious feeling flannel
 

   Nightwear doesn't need to be just something you toss on, just something you sleep in. It can express how you feel and who you are. Nightgowns, nightshirts, pajamas, teddies, chemises, shorty sets, peignoirs, robes, bed jackets; so many choices to fit every mood. We should feel wonderful no matter what time of day it is.
   Here is a bits-and-pieces vignette of  the nightwear I have made for various clients.
 




 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment