Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Feeling Spring Fever

Hello to all of you. I hope things are fabulous with each one of you.
 
     I believe I have caught Spring fever. We haven't had to deal with very much snow here, so we have seen the grass for some time now. Of course it is brown and boring, but it has given me cause to plan and dream of planting and gardening. Naturally my dreams are much bigger than my energy levels and pocketbook, but I haven't let that stop me. I want to know what is in and on my food, so I will be planting a vegetable garden this year. I would love to turn the whole yard into a food source. Somehow that doesn't seem possible all by myself, so I will start small....lettuce, tomatoes, cukes, zucchini, summer squash, spinach, pole beans, carrots, maybe some green onions ro chives. I also have 3 blueberry bushes that have been paitently waiting to get into the ground. And then perhaps some herbs. Of course it is a natural progression to want to can and freeze for the winter. Mind you, I have never canned before, so this will be an adventure.
     Now onto the flower part of my plan. I have a wooden fence about 5 feet tall at the back of the yard. My plan is to start planting floweing trees and bushes all along that fence area. Because I tend to be a little impatient, I will want to purchase pretty mature plantings. This might take a few years and a lot of sewing clients. Heh! Pinterest and Facebook can be evil habits, as I have found a perfect vision of this fence area. They use gorgeous rose bushes, which isn't a bad idea either. If I use the roses, they won't be tall enough to hide the view behind the fence, which is an excavating business. But we will see.
 
     Then there are two maple trees I would love to surround with ferns and shade loving plants. Perhaps a bench to rest oneself would be nice too. And the biggest project of all is to make some sort of steps from the driveway at the side of the house to the front door. I am thinking of useing railroad ties and very slight graded steps. Now mind you...all of these projects will have to be done by lil ole me. As I said in the beginning, my dreams always outweigh my energies. But, I figure if I take it a little at a time, it can happen. Right?
Shade plantings - Spring Hill Nursery
 
     Now that is the outside dreaming. Inside I am well under way. Company is coming for the weekend. What better motivation to clean up the spare room and turn it into a lovely guest room. The spare room was packed full of boxes and totes of collections, dishware, and stuff. It is almost cleared and ready for the bed, curtains and decorating. It will be so nice to have it all done. Then in a few weeks I will begin work on turning a small room off the driveway into a shop. It will be so exciting to have a physical shop for Simply Rebecca Studios with regular hours. Here I will welcome my custom clients as well as sell my one of a kind items.
     I think I am going to be a busy gal, but it will keep me out of trouble. And busy hands definitely fills the heart with joy. Sewing, digging in the dirt, and making things pretty all stir my soul. They make me happy. It is going to be a fabulous year, I can just feel it. I wish the same for all of you. Find something that calls to you, that sings inside of you. Then just do it. Find the time and the means to answer that call. You will be surprised at the results. It will give you more energy and motivation to do more.
 
Sending you all seeds of inspiration,
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment